The Macedonia Merit Scholarship
Feb 1, 2022
Reverend Michael-Aaron Poindexter, Pastor
Macedonia Baptist Church
26 Wilson Avenue
Albany, New York 12205
Phone: (518) 489-4370
Annual Deadline: April 15
“It is only through labor and prayerful effort; by grim energy and
absolute courage that we move on to better things.”
~ Theodore Roosevelt
The Macedonia Merit Scholarship is sponsored by the Macedonia Scholarship Fund and is administered by the Fund in conjunction with the Macedonia Baptist Church Board of Trustees. This scholarship is available to outstanding high school seniors of African ancestry attending an accredited high school, and at the time of application have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or greater on a scale of 4.0. The amount designated will be awarded to recipients to be used toward the purchase of books and/or college tuition and fees. The Macedonia Merit Scholarship is a direct investment in the future of Capital District region youth seeking educational achievement, advancement, and success.
The scholarship is available to high school seniors of African ancestry who exemplify the following characteristics:
- Academic Achievement - Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or greater on a scale of 4.0.
- Leadership - Serve in a leadership position(s) in school, religious organizations, community, and/or civic organizations.
- Character - Serve as a positive role model for their peers through attitude and conduct.
- Community Service - Exhibit admirable qualities of good citizenship through community and/or civic volunteerism.
- Personal Poise - Able to articulate goals, abilities, shortcomings, and rationale for pursuing a particular career path.
All applications must be postmarked no later than April 15th. The application must be signed by both the student and their parent or guardian. When all parts of the application are completed, submit as one package to Macedonia Baptist Church, 26 Wilson Avenue, Albany, New York 12205 Attention: Scholarship Fund Committee. Please Note: Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
A complete application package consists of:
- A completed, dated, and signed Macedonia Merit Scholarship application.
- A sealed copy of an “Official High School” transcript.
- Three recent letters of recommendation from the following:
- an individual who is not related to the student and who is not affiliated with the academic institution the student currently attends (this can be a personal reference);
- the student’s Pastor or designee of the religious organization in which the student belongs; and
- an Academic Advisor, School Counselor or School Administrator.
- A copy of the student’s college acceptance letter, (if not available at the time of the application, please bring the acceptance letter to the interview).
- A typed, double-spaced biographical essay that addresses the questions listed on the application. Please answer all questions.
- A copy of resume or biographical sketch.
To keep all application information together, the student must place their name on all documents in the application package.