Emergency Assistance Award
Feb 6, 2022
Reverend Michael-Aaron Poindexter, Pastor
Macedonia Baptist Church
26 Wilson Avenue
Albany, New York 12205
Phone: (518) 489-4370 Website: www.macedoniaofalbany.org
“Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.”
~ Malcolm X
THE MACEDONIA BAPTIST CHURCH EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE AWARD
The Macedonia Baptist Church family is committed to assisting active student members of the congregation in fulfilling their dreams and aspirations as well as improving the quality of life for themselves, their families, and the faith community through education. To that end, the Macedonia Baptist Church Scholarship Fund Committee established a trust in a designated amount to assist college students who are in “good academic standing” and are experiencing financial difficulties. The student must present evidence of need, which, if not met, would require the student to drop out of school or drop a required course. The check, for this “one-time-only” award, will be made payable to and mailed directly to the college/university or technical school as specified.
- Enrolled and matriculated as a full-time or part-time student in “good academic standing” at an accredited college/university or technical school, on the date of the request for emergency assistance.
- Have a financial need and be an active youth member of Macedonia Baptist Church.
- The expense must be one that was unanticipated and/or unavoidable, such as planned funding for the expense failed to materialize; or funding received is significantly less than what was anticipated.
Procedure and Award Process
- A student requesting assistance must complete an Emergency Assistance Award application and prepare a detailed letter summarizing the circumstances of the emergency, the amount of funds requested, and a clear statement that explains the consequences if financial assistance is not received. Sufficient evidence of need must be provided to be approved for the emergency funds. Upon completion of the application and letter, both documents should be mailed to Macedonia Baptist Church, Attention: Chair of the Macedonia Scholarship Fund Committee, 26 Wilson Avenue, Albany, New York 12205.
- The Emergency Assistance Subcommittee will review the documents and submit recommendation(s) to the Chair of the Scholarship Committee who will meet with the Pastor for discussion and decision.
- If the request is denied, a reason will be shared with the applicant. If the request is approved, the Chair of the Macedonia Scholarship Fund will arrange for the payment to be payable to and mailed directly to the designated institution.
Note: No emergency awards shall be granted once the allocated amount in the annual Scholarship budget is exhausted.